Monday, February 27, 2006

Good boy. No fire. Eat some cake.


Okay, so I totally lucked out tonight. After taking one too many risks with trying to forcefully insert American plugs with shoddy converters into relatively-close sized outlets, I blew a fuse and my entire flat went dark. I patted down my head to verify my braincan wasn't on fire, then stumbled around until I found some matches and a candlestick. The offending fuse was hidden in the closet and is the small round thing to the right in the picture. Not exactly the kind of fuses I'm used to working with. I had no idea what was broken, but it appeared that the little blue thing in the middle of the fuse had busted and was in pieces within the housing of the fuse (much like when a filament in a lightbulb goes). I rummaged around the closet and found a size match for a "6Amp" fuse, unplugged the plugs I was tinkering with, screwed in the fuse, prayed, and heard the frige come back on. Halleujah. Screw Suisse electricite.

After patting myself on the back for a job well done, I hauled myself to my favorite place restaurant: Manora, a cafeteria-style restaurant where the only language you need to speak is the universal language of "grunt and point". It's like an upscale La Madeline. Speaking of desserts, on a co-worker's recommendation, I went to a place in Gare de Cornavin called Aperto. Besides being in the train station and one of the only grocery stores I've found to stay open late, it houses a patisserie called A. Pougnier. The cakes are about the diameter of a cookie and about 3 inches high, much like the ones that you would find in a Whole Paycheck. The decadent sacher came highly recommended and it didn't disappoint - one of the best cakes I've had in a long time. It will take me nearly a year of typing at the desk to burn off these calories.

No comments: