Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Beyond Cheese and Chocolate

So this week hasn't been my best - I returned to my flat yesterday to find that my digital camera, camera case, international drivers' license, 400 euros, and a leather belt were missing. Fingers seem to point to the cleaning lady - hired for years by the landlady (who lives in Spain) - who had entered the flat yesterday to pick up laundry. But I've come to find out that close to 4 other people have access to my flat - landlord, cleaning lady, "concierge" (or building supervisor), and perhaps even PAST tenants. According to my 81-year old landlady, the locks have never been changed on the flat, although it's been rented by multiple tenants. This place is like the Jenna Jameson of Geneva - everyone has a freaking key. It could also possibly be a savvy ex-tenant who knows when the cleaning lady stops by and pins circumstantial evidence on her. Either way, I'm getting the HELL OUT of there. For the next few nights (until a more secure and permanent residence is found for me), I'm in fabulous 2.5 star accomodation.

Aside from making me believe that this will result in some kind of pre-paid good karma in the future, this experience has allowed me to see something that most Genevois don't frequently see (at least so they say): the inside of a police station.

Geneva police are said to have one of the most stringent and rigorous selections in Europe. For some reason, one of the most rigorous tests candidates must pass is in written French grammar. But don't be fooled by the fancy French writing - the Geneva police are apparently plagued with the same bureaucratic problems that other police departments in the US have. Investigation of my missing loot mandated that I contact multiple offices, set appointments with other investigative branches of the police department, and file lots of paperwork. The light at the end of the tunnel? There may be insurance coverage for items that are pilfered (with no forced entry) out of flats that are rented if a police report is filed and investigated.

The weather's warmer, I'm getting a haircut tomorrow, and I managed to pocket the 1G memory card with the Madrid pics before the camera was pilfered. Plus, the camera has about 200 pictures worth of a charge without the docking station (which I still have - suck it whoever you are). Things are looking up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should take the stuffed birds with you as restitution. Or just make a down right filthy mess (rate-my-poo filthy), if you think that it was the cleaning lady.