Saturday, March 04, 2006

Ipoddin' in the Rain

So it's one of the rainiest days in Geneva and what does your boy Ben do? I decide to visit one of the single largest outdoor, water-based attractions in Western Europe. Think the Geneva equivalent of Splash Mountain. I was determined to get some touristy stuff under my belt; what can I say?

Jet d'Eau is located in the center of town near the point where Lac Leman flows into the Rhone. It is probably the single landmark that everyone immediately identifies with Geneva. The rain and wind were blowing sideways (the spray from the jet didn't help) and I thought I saw at least one dead duck in the lake (to add the H5N1 hysteria here), but all was made right. As touristy as I realized the moment was, it kicked ass to see water go that high. Not as much ass kicking as this guy is doing, though. It's like Jackie Chan was reincarnated as a French dude. Now that I've seen jet d'eau, I have officially arrived. Tomorrow, I head off to the Geneva International Car Show.

So the ipod has become a critical piece of my experience here in Geneva. It adds a soundtrack to the sights which (excluding the jackknifing Michael Jackson car) would be woefully quiet. Here's the soundtrack for today (links to amazon.com MS media player samples):

No comments: