Sunday, October 22, 2006

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer: American Foreign Policy Defense

On more than one occasion, I've found myself in the middle of heated or mildly uncomfortable discussions about American foreign policy. These conversations are sometimes played out by the Swiss (or ex pats) in a good cop / bad cop routine. Through a bit of trial-and-error, I've found a way to steer the conversation topic towards a subject that most people in Geneva all agree on: that Geneva is a great place to live.

Now there is "objective" research that's been done on this, but no where is it more apparent than when you get any large-ish group of people together. Like a faint din that crescendos into a trumpet blaring in your ear, you can almost predict that at some point in the conversation people will begin to coo in unison about how wonderful the city is - almost like some strange group orgy with verbal rubbing.

Use my trick to shift any uncomfortable conversation topic towards a well-agreed topic. I've inserted xml tags for added effect (here replaced by the [] brackets thanks to Blogger).


  • Inquisitor 1: "What do you think about George Bush?"
  • Ben: [sweat][fidget]
  • Inquisitor 2: "That's not very fair question."
  • Ben: [/sweat][/fidget][skeptically look at person]
  • Inquisitor 2: "What do you think about the war for oil, global warming, or the North Korean situation?"
  • Ben: [crap][run script src = Phil Hartman's Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer] "I'm just an IT geek. American foreign policy frightens and confuses me! Sometimes all the news coverage on global warming makes me want to get out of my SUV and run off into the hills. My IT-oriented mind can't grasp these concepts. But there is one thing I do know - when a man like me comes to Geneva, you can't help but admire this city for being so clean, close to nature and the Alps, and all within a few minutes flight of the most stunning cities in Western Europe." [/crap][begin nervous shifty eyes]
  • Inquisitor 1: "Ben's words are true. I love Geneva."
  • Inquisitor 2: "Yes. We all love Geneva. Let's have another drink."

No comments: