Saturday, October 21, 2006

Ben Harper - Geneva

Went to the Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals concert last night and had a blast. The opening act was a guy named William White, a relative unknown in my book but apparently from Switzerland (.ch domain). He had a few good acoustic songs, but overall was not impressive. The funniest thing was that he would have these long stories in English, but neglected to remember that he was addressing a predominantly French-speaking crowd. On top of that, he spoke like Bob Marley - talk about a confused crowd.

Ben rocked. He opened up with "With My Own Two Hands" and was on a roll from there. His set had a few too many slow songs in it for my preference and I found myself occupying the time by drinking one too many beers with my buddy during the ballads. He never got into "Burn One Down", one of my favorites, but did end with his new-ish hit single, "Better Way".

First it was songs, then it was lyrics. Now it's tabulatures. The RIAA is going after anyone that posts tabs online and it has more than scared a few off the Internet. Ben is one of the few artists that are providing links to tabulature on his website for free. Go Ben!

My ears still ring, my voice is still hoarse, and my back hurts from standing all night. But it was well worth it.

Soundtrack of the Day:

No comments: